My home is pretty organized. I wouldn’t be embarrassed to have drop in guests at any time, with the exception of the office, where I just close the door! But I am horrified to admit that the above photo is my half of our home office. Everything ends up here. I entitled this post Part 1 since this is a HUGE task and we were away part of the week on vacation.
I made some huge progress this week, basically located my desk and tables from under the piles of stuff.
I began by making several piles. This was the fastest way to sort through stuff and make some visible progress which is important and motivating.
- stuff to sell
- repairs (clothing, toys, silk swords etc.)
- papers to file
- papers to review
- supplies/craft items to sort and organize
- items that belong elsewhere in the house
Then I chose the easiest piles first. Recycling and garbage piles were easy to deal with and eliminated a bunch of clutter quickly. Having sorted everything into piles made the task less daunting and more manageable. The items that belonged elsewhere I put into a laundry basket and went around the house returning them to where they belonged. I put all the items to sell in a bin, all the craft items in a bin and all the supplies in the drawer. I put All that is left on top of my desk at this time is the papers to file and sort through.
I still have a lot of work to do in here and look forward to sharing part 2 of this challenge with you as I get to it either later this week or next. It is definitely on the to-do list before baby arrives as it has been a weight around my shoulders!
Still to do:
- Sort/enter/discard/file papers in Inbox
- Empty supply drawers, sort and organize
- Decide what to do with our craft supplies. Sort, organize & store
- List items for sale on Kijiji, eBay or take to consignment store
- Deal with photos
- Evaluate what lands on my desk and why. Set up a system for dealing with it on a regular basis.