I enjoy pickled beets so this year when I saw a whole bushel for $8.00 how could I resist buying them? I’m in the canning zone and though I’d never made beets before, I was up for the challenge! A fast way to add veggies to the plate, and they’re so pretty in their jars.
Easy Pickled Beets
- 3 quarts of beets
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Wash your beets and then you can either #1 cook them and then peel them. This works well if your beets are small or #2 you can peel them, cut them and then cook them. Since my bushel didn’t contain consistently sized beets, I did both ways. I cooked the small ones first then peeled them and the larger ones I peeled then cut and cooked. It was easier to peel the cooked beets but honestly? I don’t think it was really easier one way or the other.
- Combine all the ingredients (except the beets) in a pot and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pack beets into hot jars with 1/4” headspace. Ladle hot liquid (without cinnamon sticks) into the jars, keeping your headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, adjust 2pc lids.
- Process 30 minutes in boiling water canner.