Photo By Fransco.Carucci
Well I am still in search of the perfect baked pasta…but this is my pretty-close recipe based on a scalloped potato recipe of all things!
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Scalded Milk
- Melt butter in saucepan and slowly blend in flour, sale and pepper. Gradually add hot milk and stir constantly until it thickens.
- Melt in grated cheese if desired.
- Boil pasta until just before done, take out and put in oval dish and mix in the sauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of breadcrumbs and some Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. If necessary, put under the broiler for the last minute to crisp up the top.
- Wash and Peel 6-7 medium potatoes. Slice thinly. Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a buttered dish (we actually use several individual dishes). Sprinkle with 1/2 a chopped medium onion.
- Same as step one above for the sauce. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the potatoes
- Cover another layer with potatoes and remaining onions and 1/2 the remaining sauce.
- Place remaining potatoes on top and cover with remaining sauce. Make sure all exposed potatoes have sauce spread on them.
- Bake uncovered at 375 deg for 1 hour or until done and lightly browned on top.
Make extra sauce so that you have have the potatoes one night and the pasta the next!
This scalloped potato recipe is compliments of my Aunty Pat. She impressed me with it last summer when we went to visit her and was kind enough to share it. The sauce is so basic, versatile and produce great results every time!
I’d welcome any suggestions or new recipes for baked pasta! It is something we love and I have not yet found the perfect recipe.